Re: Grand Canyon launch date Sept 30,1997

Kim Buttleman (kbuttlem@usgs.gov)
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 14:37:26 -0400

Hi,
I was on a private trip in 95, down to Pearce Ferry. We picked up a
small outboard at Diamond Ck, made a train out of the rafts, kayak, and
my canoe, and puttered on down. (We had a small cat with a motor
mount.) We had to do the last 40 or so miles straight through, because
there are essentially no campsites for that stretch, since the tamarisks
have grown up so much. We left our last camp at about mile 245 at about
noon, and got to the lake at midnight, as the full moon was rising, then
wandered around the lake for about 1.5 hours, gave up on finding the
takeout, camped, and in the AM discovered that we were about 1/2 mile
from it. The trip was Sept/Oct, and it was quite chilly until we got to
the lake, where the cold river water sinks under the warm lake water.
PRO outfitters in Flagstaff may be able to supply a motor, if they are
picking up another trip at Diamond when you pass by.
Good luck,
Kim