Re: Grand Canyon launch date Sept 30,1997

mwb@pacbell.net
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 09:33:50 -0700

VINCENT, CHARLES L. -CVIN wrote:

> Hi fellow boaters,
>
> I've signed on with the trip launching Sept 30, that was advertised
> several days ago on this same list--the system works!! I've been
> delegated a few tasks I need some help with.
>
> The trip leader, Gayle Jann, has an interest in extending the trip down
> to Pearce Ferry. That sounds great to me, but I have concerns based on
> my experience with Lake "Foul" on the end of a Cataract trip when the
> lake is high. From what I've read, there will be 40ish miles of slack
> water from Separation to Pearce Ferry. Part of this can be overcome by
> the overnight float option, and/or a tow. But the tow option is not
> very appealing, since it seems a hollow finish to a glorious 3 week
> trip.
>
> I guess the real question is where does the current effectively stop at
> the current lake level?? Is it practical to go to Pearce without motor
> support?? Is the tow short enough that it isn't a big downer?
>
> Second question would be along the lines of where on the Internet could
> I read the permit requirements. From Gayle reading the highlights, the
> only thing that didn't sound familiar was the signaling
> requirements--I've read the extensive dialog on this list about the
> radios and the black boxes that signal satellites and airplanes in the
> past month. What are the more typical methods of dealing with requests
> for assistance--besides the obvious haul butt for Phantom Ranch or
> Diamond Creek??
>
> Charlie Vincent
Hey Charlie.

You will also be receiving a voice mail message from me. The typical
method is the required signal panels that they check for at put in and a
signal mirror. That and a VHS Radio or the generosity of some passing
boatman allowing you to use their radio.

I was down in May-June and we pulled out at Pierce. The lake was
wayyyyyyy up and not long after separation there was no flow. We had
some motors on the trip so we towed off. It's a pretty good ways. The
tow wasn't a detriment at all. I too thought it would be. It gave you
time to reflect without having to think about current, rowing etc., and
the drone of the motor does have a sort of calming affect unto itself.
My trip then was 21 days total and the motors didn't seem to detract
much at all. We crawled down river at a blazing 10-12 miles a day. One
day was less than 1/4 mile. two layovers, bass and tapeats. From 192
mile to 222 mile was the single longest day.

The lake should be down some now so current would last longer. but
still the tow is a good option. i've floated rowed off before and it
has it's bad side also.

Take care and talk soon. BG