Re: Float trip suggestions?

Robert J Abbot (rabbot@juno.com)
Tue, 09 Sep 1997 19:03:50 EDT

On Tue, 09 Sep 1997 17:51:03 -0400 mothy@nettally.com (Riordan, Tim)
writes:
>This is a bit off the general topic of this newsgroup, but.....
>

>We returned in August from our 18-day Canyon river running trip. I
>can
>honestly say it was the best time I've ever had in my life...all my
>concerns
>because of not knowing what the trip would be like evaporated as soon
>as we
>put the oars in the water, heard those Canyon Wrens, and got through
>the
>first rapids.
>
>We still are having a time adjusting to "real life".
>
>My question is this: Realizing that we are forever spoiled by our
>first
>river running trip being the best in this country, does any one have a
>suggestion of wilderness rivers that have good multi-day trips, with
>access
>to outfitters to rent equipment. There doesn't neccesarily have to be
>big
>whitewater (since we're novices, probably smaller would be better
>anyway).
>But since we live in North Florida, I'd be most interested to know of
>good
>rivers in the Southeast.

Hi Katrina,

the following are my suggestions for the Southeast; The New River at
levels below 3', The Lower Gauley during fall res draw down. (that's
happening right now through the second week in Oct.) Both of these are
in WV
These have a similar feel to the GC in terms of push and technicality.

The Nolichucky river, in North Carolina flowing into Tenn. All three can
be run as an overnight trip. If you add in the 8 mi class V Upper Gauley
section tho the lower plan on three days. One final note of caution, you
certainly wont be alone on these rivers till the sun sets.

In the Southwest I recommend the Lower canyons of the Reo Grand, Mexico/
Texas line. The Reo Chama in NM is an excellent early spring one or two
day trip. The Delores River in Southwestern CO can be made into a trip
anywhere from 3 to 12 days. The Gunnison Gorge in CO is a great 2 to 3
day trip with awesome fishing. This one does require you to portage all
your gear down the steep 1 mile long Chuckar trail however. I think the
walk is worth it.

Feel free to email me if you want more info on any of these. I can also
recommend several in the New England area as well.

Cheers

R Abbot