RE: Float trip suggestions?

Carl Anderson (carl@moab-canyonlands.com)
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 11:22:50 -0600

At 07:41 AM 9/10/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Katrina:
>I don't know much about the SE, but if you want more SW or even just
>western experiences. I'd recommend a book called "Western White Water."
>There are three Authors, one of the authors is F Calhoun. The book is
>paperback and costs about $30. The book is about 2-3 inches thick and
>has enough rivers to last a lifetime. The descriptions are quite good,
>perhaps marginal as a river running guide, but an excellent resource for
>figuring out approximte difficulty, logistics, shuttles, times of year
>they are runnable, permit application procedures, etc.
>
>In any event, recommended rivers in Utah: San Juan, Green River (Ladore
>or Desolation Canyons), Yampa, Colorado (Westwater or Cataract at low
>water). All of these require permits obtained by lottery for the warmer
>months. Idaho and Oregon also have excellent opportunities.
>
>Rent gear in Moab, UT from Canyon Voyages. Also from Idaho River Sports
>in Boise, ID. Also a competative option for people comming long
>distances who have to rent the equipment anyhow, is a commercial
>outfitter. There are lots of them and I don't know much about most
>them. I'd recommend Adventure River Expeditions in Moab, UT; good
>trips run by good people, and they are on the low end of the price
>range--check them out at http://www.adventureriver.com. Holiday River
>also does a pretty good job and they do a few more rivers arround the
>west.
>
>Charlie

Katrina,

Cataract Canyon does not use a lottery system. Also, it is the easiest
canyon on the Colorado River to get a permit for. The reason for this is
that the NPS in this park redistributes unused commercial allocation to
private use via a common pool once a month starting in late May.

Gear can also be rented from Western River Expeditions in Moab, Utah for
use on the Colorado, Green, and San Juan River Canyons in Southeast Utah.

As for outfitters, I think that they all offer good trips or they wouldn't
stay in bussiness. It is a matter of what kind of trip you want with one
(long or short, motor or row).

As one last comment, I would say that if you want to see what the "untamed"
Colorado River is like, go through Cataract Canyon during spring runoff and
see honest 20+ foot river waves!

Carl Anderson