Re: Red Tape

Bob Hiltner (bobhilt@eskimo.com)
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 09:52:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997 TLDUVAL@aol.com wrote:

> I've seen the waste and the lack of sensitivity to the environment that comes
> down on those motor rigs (throwing garbage in the Colo. and leaving their
> private waste at our campsite for us to carry out).
>
> You need only to look at Mt. Everest to see what can happen to an overly
> commercialized natural treasure!! So right on! to the guy who wants to make
> it harder for commercial trips---
> toni duval

As good as many other stereotypes, I suppose. Personally, I wouldn't tar
the commercials with any such brush. With the exception of one who passed
us by on a serious late-afternoon rescue at Crystal, I've found them to be
universally professional, conscientious, and deferentially helpful to
private boaters. My guess is that most of the guides are especially
sensitive to what the private boaters' hardships are and do what they can
to help. Most probably wish they were with you.

Jerks come in most any stripe, probably in reasonably equal percentages.
With enough commercial passengers, there will be a certain amount of
insensitivity and crummy behavior. Not much different from a certain
amount of the same from privates.

I think the guides are pretty cool on the whole. If there were 3,000
commercial 19,000 private boaters doing the canyon, I reckon we'd actually
see a lot more carnage.

just my $.02

Bob Hiltner <bobhilt@eskimo.com>
Seattle, U.S.A.