RE: Crystalling

Benjamin Harding (blh@hydrosphere.com)
Fri, 26 Sep 1997 13:40:47 +0000

On 26 Sep 97 at 12:22, Weber, Eric wrote:

> FYI,
> The Fort Collins flood was a 500 year event.
> ERW

"Was" is right. After it's figured in, it will no longer be a
500-year event and what was called the 100-year event will have
a revised, shorter return interval. This is because of Earl's
point that we have very short streamflow records. If we had
long records, each additional event would have a smaller
effect. We're still learning about our environment--in another
500 years we'll have a pretty good idea what the 100-year flood
is (assuming that our climate is not changing too quickly).

Ben

-- Ben Harding              blh@hydrosphere.com --
--       Hydrosphere Resource Consultants       --
--       Hydrosphere Data Products              --
--       1002 Walnut, Suite 200                 --
--       Boulder CO 80302                       --
-- 303-443-7839 voice          303-442-0616 fax --
-- Publishing Natural Resources Data on CD ROM  --
--  Consultants in Natural Resources Planning   --