Re: Crystalling

Benjamin Harding (blh@hydrosphere.com)
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 10:11:52 +0000

On 2 Oct 97 at 1:39, BENTOAR@aol.com wrote:

> On another subject, I have to scoff at the inflated claims on the "success"
> of beach building from the recent "great flood." It may have been a success
> regarding funding for badly needed data on various aspects of the Canyon, but
> the redistribution of beach sand will, I believe, prove short-lived and only
> serve to move beaches downstream from the dam.

This is my attitude as well. But, I attended a presentation by
Ned Andrews of USGS, the principle investigator on the "flood"
project, where he said that the sediment balances indicate that
the GC is still gaining sediment. The rate is low, particularly
above the Little Colorado, so it could be overwhelmed by the
downstream transport during a "flood". The net effect of "flood
prescription", it seems to me, would be relatively stable
beaches in the lower reaches with increasingly smaller
beaches as you move upstream.

I think lots of beach erosion is caused by wind--witness the
rapid deterioration of the upland beach at Tapeats. Having
thought about this, I am reconsidering my earlier point,
that we should see perched remnant beachs from super-extreme
flows (c. 800k cfs, 1400-year return interval). They would
quickly blow away. But, fancy micro-crystal analysis might
still detect traces of sand derived from rocks in the upper
basin in locations where the only explanation is an extreme
flow. Look in wind- and runoff-sheltered areas at elevations
consistent with flows between 300k cfs and 800k cfs.

Ben

-- Ben Harding              blh@hydrosphere.com --
--       Hydrosphere Resource Consultants       --
--       Hydrosphere Data Products              --
--       1002 Walnut, Suite 200                 --
--       Boulder CO 80302                       --
-- 303-443-7839 voice          303-442-0616 fax --
-- Publishing Natural Resources Data on CD ROM  --
--  Consultants in Natural Resources Planning   --