Re: Geochemistry

David Yeamans, CST-7, 5-8832, dryeamans@lanl.gov (dryeamans@lanl.gov")
Fri, 03 Oct 1997 14:28:37 -0600

Ongoing discussion among scientists.

For consideration by the dilletantes such as myself: this problem is not
cheap. Getting sand is cheap. Analyzing samples is not. Many questions
crop up. What is the natural abundance of various quartzes in beach sands
today and from known ancestral river floods and ancestral lake floods? Was
the Wasatch lake-draining a catastrophic event and would it have obliterated
signs that we seek? Is it the event that we seek? Would the lake have held
sediments away from the river that we might be looking for (i.e. would the
source quartz not be Uintah Mountain Quartzite but some other variety)? If
lacustrine deposits were made partially of old river flood deposits, owing
to a superior position of river sediment near a lava lake, then the tracer
quartz from the river deposits would pollute the purity of the lacustrine
deposit. The entire model of tracer quartz needs a bit of discussion.

Are we on the verge of hypothesizing and discovering the ancestral outflow
of the Colorado? Keep plugging. Who has deep pockets for the analyses? I
think we have enough authors for this paper in our gcboaters or riveraccess
groups, so we don't have to depend on pedigreed scientists except as
laboratory tools.