Re: Freebies, commerce, and ax grinding

Benjamin Harding (blh@hydrosphere.com)
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 16:10:26 +0000

On 1 Oct 97 at 12:57, Alfred E. Holland, Jr. wrote:

> 2. Common Pool
> I think this is a cockamannie idea for the following reason: The
> common pool will put Helms and Weld on the same trip. Yikes and worse.

> ...I think that the lucky stiff that gets a launch MUST be
> able to select the list of fellow travelers. For crying out
> loud, we cannot get paid for tending strangers' tender
> psyches. I've been under paid for those services before. No
> way I'll do it for nothing.

Al,

You eddied out on the wrong side of the river and missed the
common pool.

It just means that all who want to set up a trip (whether they
go with concessionaires or on their own) wait in the same queue
(or are served by the same rationing system). Once you emerge
with your permit in hand, feeling equitably treated rather than
(well, you know) everything else is pretty much the same.*

It's not river runner slumgullion.

You know, though, I've been on private trips where the
pathologies were hand-selected so maybe dumb luck wouldn't be so
bad.

Ben

* Not quite--it can be made better than it is now by providing
for decent launch scheduling.

-- Ben Harding              blh@hydrosphere.com --
--       Hydrosphere Resource Consultants       --
--       Hydrosphere Data Products              --
--       1002 Walnut, Suite 200                 --
--       Boulder CO 80302                       --
-- 303-443-7839 voice          303-442-0616 fax --
-- Publishing Natural Resources Data on CD ROM  --
--  Consultants in Natural Resources Planning   --