Re: repeats

Christopher Hill (cehill@u.washington.edu)
Mon, 6 Oct 1997 11:44:25 -0700 (PDT)

> On 6 Oct 97 at 7:23, Earl Perry wrote:
>
> > My perspective was, and is, that a call-in system and repeat users are a
> > pure boon. It takes considerable practice and ability to put together a
> > Grand trip, and life circumstances change beyond our ability to envision or
> > predict. This would mean lots of wasted dates, if there were not people
> > who could move on short notice. Repeat users aren't taking anything away
> > from those of us with congealed lives; they make use of opportunities we
> > don't. Other than envy, what's the problem?

Envy figures into it. But Earl Perry's sentence above "Repeat users
aren't taking anything away from [the rest of us]" is only true under the
current system. It would be easy to design a system where the permits
currently picked up as cancellations would go into the wait-list pool
instead. If NPS anticipated that a third of permit holders would cancel,
then they could hand out 50% more permits. One third of those cancel, and
you've got 100% use by people on the waiting list. The waiting list moves
50% faster. Easy. And much fairer.

The status quo favors people who've been down before, who have the
experience to put together a trip quickly, but there's no logical reason
the system has to work that way.

Chris Hill
Everett, WA
cehill@u.washington.edu