RE: Schedule of NCDNHC

From: Andrew McLaughlin (mclaughlin@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 15:45:38 PST

Dear Milton:

Perhaps I'm not being clear. My suggestion is that the NCDNHC rely on AdCom
members for proxy votes, not as officially designated alternates. I
interpret the Bylaws to be inconsistent with official alternates; however,
the NC can choose to allow proxy voting for important votes, as it did for
the election of ICANN Directors.

Setting aside my interpretation that the Bylaws language clearly prohibits
the naming of "official" alternates (by which I mean individuals who must by
right be added to the NC's mailing list and teleconferences -- after all, an
NC member can always choose to forward NC email to other members of her/his
constituency), perhaps it would be helpful to explain what I take to be the
purpose behind the explicit limitation set forth in the Bylaws.
Structurally, alternates are not consistent with the model of a deliberative
council of individuals, unlike a legislative committee of designated
representatives. In my view, the NC will have much greater difficulty
reaching consensus if it is composed of 38 regularly alternating
individuals, rather than 19 dedicated and commited members. Given that the
NC does most of its work via email and uses proxy voting for important
matters, the need for alternates is not apparent to me, while the harm
entailed in doubling the effective size of the NC is. More generally, the
use of alternates implies that the NC consists of interested representatives
of constituency interests, rather than individuals who happen to have been
chosen by different constituency groups. In my view, each NC representative
should be accountable to the DNSO as a whole, rather than just to a single
constituency group. NC reps bear a responsibility to keep the constituency
informed and involved, etc., but as NC reps they are responsible for
advancing the cause of consensus in the DNSO as a whole.

Bottom line: As a matter of Bylaws interpretation, I just don't agree that
3 + 3 = 3.

If you want to allow alternates, I suggest that you propose to the NC an
amendment to the ICANN Bylaws. As you know, we will soon be launching the
first annual review of the DNSO; it seems like the question of alternates
would be a good subject to take up in that context.

--Andrew