Re: Schedule of NCDNHC

From: Kent Crispin (kent@SONGBIRD.COM)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 16:14:32 PST

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 11:17:04AM -0500, vany@sdnp.org.pa wrote:
> Dear Andrew:
>
> Maybe if in the charter is especified that an "alternate" is not a member
> of the NC...would be OK for ICANN bylaws?
>
> But I want you to take in count that in NC meetings will always be 19 or
> less people. Never the NCDNHC will be represented by more that three
> individuals designated by NCDNHC to act in such meetings.
>
> I think that taking in count this fact, maybe the "alternate" figure is
> not against ICANN bylaws.

Here's a gedanken ("thought experiment"): Let's suppose that our charter
said "we believe in total instant democracy, so we designate the entire
membership as alternates, any one of whom may attend a NC meeting. Only
3 at a time will attend, so this is in accord with the ICANN bylaws".

The distinction between a proxy and an alternate is fairly large, though
there is some overlap in the concepts. The alternate is still a full
representative, who participates in the debate and any ad hoc votes
whenever the primary is not there. The proxy, on the other hand, has a
much more limited role and mandate: to convey to the NC the
predetermined will of the constituency/representative. In such a case
there is no need to pick a person who is sympathetic to the point of
view of the representative, since their freedom to act is very
constrained to begin with.