Re: NCDNHC Application and Information Form

From: Jan Torreele (jan@belnet.be)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 00:34:08 PST

> A. Basic Information for Organization
>
> 1. What is the name of your Organization?

BELNET, the Belgian National Research Network

> 2. Is the Organization a member of any other constituency in the
> Domain Name Supporting Organization of ICANN?

No

> 3. What is the major domain name of the Organization?

belnet.be, belnet.net, ac.be

http://www.belnet.be/

> B. Contact information for Representative of Organization
>
> 1. What is your name and title with the Organization?

Jan Torreele, network engineer, BELNET Service Support Team

> 2. How can other representatives reach you? (email, telephone, fax
> appreciated)

BELNET Service Support Team: sst@belnet.be
phone: +32 2 238 34 70
fax: +32 2 513 57 30

> 3. How is it that you have come to represent the Organization in
> this
> Constituency? (Please furnish appropriate indication that the Organization
> has authorized your participation, for example, vote of membership, vote of
> directors, action by officer(s) or consensus of members.)

BELNET is the Belgian National Research Network. It is government
sponsored and provides network services (IP) to the Belgian research and
education community. BELNET operates its own national high-speed backbone
and has its own international connections.

One of BELNET's tasks is to represent its users within various national
and international organisations (RIPE, TERENA, ISPA Belgium, DNS-BE, etc).
The technical aspects of these representations are covered by BELNET's
Service Support Team.

> 4. Are there other representatives from your Organization who will
> be participating in this Constituency? Is so, who is authorized to vote on
> behalf of the Organization?

The members of the BELNET Service Support Team (nic-hdl: SST1-RIPE)

> C. Purpose of Organization:
>
> 1. What are the Organization's primary activities?

Internet Service Provider for the Research and Education community in
Belgium.

> 2. What are the Organization's primary activities on the Internet?

See C.1.

> 3. Please furnish a statement of how the Organization's purposes and
> activities conform to the NCDNHC Constituency's goals and membership
> requirements. This should be a narrative statement which specifically
> describes the Organization's purposes and activities and may include
> references to charter or by-law provisions.

BELNET is the Belgian National Research Network. It provides high-speed
network services to the Belgian Research and Education community. It is
mainly sponsored by the Belgian Federal Government. BELNET is a department
of the Belgian Federal Office for Scientifical, Technical and Cultural
Affairs (OSTC). It falls under the responsability of the Prime Minister's
Services and the Ministry of Scientific Research.

BELNET users (clients) are: all Belgian Universities, institutes for
higher education, the Federal scientific establishments and Agencies of
the Federal Government. The number of actual users is estimated to be
125.000. BELNET has it's own Autonomous System number, AS2611.

BELNET does not provide services to commercial companies nor to individual
end users.

See http://www.belnet.be/ for further information. In the section "About"
one can find specific information about the organisation of BELNET as well
as its Acceptable Use Policy. The latter explicitly prohibits the use of
BELNET for commercial activities.

> D. Type of Organization:
>
> Please furnish information regarding your Organization's
> legal status -- is it incorporated (if so, in what jurisdiction) or
> unincorporated? If incorporated, doe it have a not-for-profit or
> non-commercial status?

BELNET is a department of the Belgian Federal Office for Scientifical,
Technical and Cultural Affairs (OSTC). It falls under the responsability
of the Prime Minister's Services and the Minister of Scientific Research.

> E. Size of Organization:
>
> The NCDNHC will have two subgroups: one for Large and the
> other for Small Organizations. Please indicate the category of membership
> or employee size. If the Organization has both members and employees,
> please answer both questions.
>
> 1. Are you a membership organization? If so, does the
> Organization have under or over 1000 members? What type of individuals or
> entities are members of your Organization?

BELNET interconnects about 100 different institutions. The users of BELNET
are researchers, students, and agents of the Federal en Regional
governements. The number of users is estimated to be 125.000.

> 2. If you are a non-member organization, do you have under
> or over 200 employees?

N.A.

> F. Conflict of Interest
>
> Note: Conflict of Interest may or may not be a bar to joining the NCDNHC.
> The hope is that by circulating information about our views, backgrounds,
> and possible conflicts of interests, others in the NCDNHC will have a
> better idea how to interpret and weigh the ideas that we put forward.
>
> 1. For the Organization:
>
> Please furnish a brief statement concerning any possible conflict
> between the goals of the Constituency and the Organization's purposes,
> functions or activities.

No conflicts.

> Has the Organization been involved in Internet governance before?
> Does it have any developed positions that you would like others to know
> about? If so, please describe below or provide a URL.

BELNET is represented within RIPE, TERENA, ISPA Belgium, DNS-BE, Quantum
Policy Board.

> 2. For the Representative:
>
> As individuals, many of us have been involved in Internet governance
> before. If you have any positions on Internet governance that you would
> like others to read about (taken on behalf of this Organization or others
> or as an individual), please feel free to tell us about them or drop a URL
> below.

N.A.

> G. Is there anything else you would like to add?

N.A.

> H. To submit this membership form, you must send the above information to
> NCDNHC-Application@LYRIS.ISOC.ORG.
>
> In addition to being circulated on the NCDNHC list hosted by ISOC,
> this information will be made available on the NCDNHC website so that new
> organizations, as they join the Constituency can read and learn about
> existing members.

---
You are currently subscribed to ncdnhc-discuss as: Kent@SONGBIRD.COM