Re: ISOC Chapters and NC membership

From: James Love (love@cptech.org)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 06:34:20 PDT

I don't doubt the good works of the ISOC chapters, but I also don't
think they should have separate votes in the NCDNHC. ISOC gets more
than one vote as a large organization, and it has has greater influence
through the protocol SO. The American Library Association has more than
50,000 members, and lots of local chapters, but only one vote. Jamie

Zakaria AMAR wrote:

> Dear Veni,
>
> I africa also, the ISOC-chapters do a lot for the development of the
> Internet as well has an important of building an african information
> society .. Our colleagues Nii, Tarek and Pierre repectively from
> ISOC-Ghana, ISOC-egypt and ISOC-Benin played a key role at
> both National and International level.
>
> Also, they was the first african involved in the ICANN process.
>
> Hence, I strongly support the proposal of Veni to give the ISOC-
> chapters the right of voting in our constituency.
>
> Zakaria

> > >Good question. The rights of ISOC chapters were traded away as a
> > >political measure during the formation of the NCC. In some countries
> > >the ISOC chapters are the best representative of interest in the
> > >Internet in that country.
> >
> > Of course. Not only this - in cases like Bulgaria, ISOC-Bulgaris has
> > filed a case in the Supreme Court against the government-proposed
> > licensing of ISPs and has managed to achieve a victory. In Russia - on
> > the contrary - noone dares to challenge the government. Now, the
> > Russian section of ISOC will be able to vote, and we - won't. It seems
> > unfair.

> > >se is quite variable, and it is probably the case that ISOC chapters
> > >would be more inclined to vote on regional lines than the "ISOC party
> > >line" (whatever that might be).
> >
> > Sure. Another reason why ISOC chapters should have the right to vote.
> >
> > regards,
> > veni
> >

> > ---
> > You are currently subscribed to ncdnhc-discuss as: zakaria@univ-nkc.mr
> > leave-ncdnhc-discuss-3220S@lyris.isoc.org
>
> Zakaria AMAR, Ph.D
> phone : 222 29 08 66 (Office)
> 222 29 11 57 (Home)
> Fax: 222 25 37 33
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to ncdnhc-discuss as: love@cptech.org

James Love, Director           | http://www.cptech.org
Consumer Project on Technology | mailto:love@cptech.org
P.O. Box 19367                 | voice: 1.202.387.8030
Washington, DC 20036           | fax:   1.202.234.5176