Re: ISOC Chapters and NC membership

From: Horacio T. Cadiz (hcadiz@ph.net)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 02:29:51 PDT

    We can push these arguments to absurdity.

    "All members are groups. With being a group
as the characteristic, all members should
only have one vote."

    "Each member of a group is an
autonomous person, therefore each member of
a group should have a vote rather than the group
having one vote."

    I think we should look at the characteristics
of a chapter organization before we can consider
it for membership. What should these characteristics be?
Independence from the mother organization? At what point
are the interests of the chapter different from those
of the mother organization?

    For practicality, I subscribe to Milton's
view. By being a chapter of another organization,
the chapter subscribes to the purpose and methods
of the parent organization. If an organization doesn't
subscribe to the mother org, then it should not
set itself up as a chapter of another organization.

**
* Horacio T. Cadiz hcadiz@ph.net | "Carpe per diem!"
*
* Philippine Network Foundation | "Seize the paycheck!"
*
**