Re: ISOC Chapters and NC membership

From: James Love (love@cptech.org)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 19:59:42 PDT

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Hans Klein wrote:
> I know that ISOC members can be a major force for promoting the kinds of
> values that the NCDNHC supports. Those values include:
> protecting free speech
> promoting civil society use of the Net
> defending the Net against agressive Intellectual Property interests
> promoting the interests of small business

> defending against government regulation

        What exactly is this about? Do you mean that ISOC is opposed to
government regulation of ecommerce to protect privacy, for example? Are
saying there should be no government regulation of marketing practices
on the Internet, no goverment regulation against unfair business
practices?

   Jamie

> promoting the interests of developing countries
>
> This discussion is probably best pursued in a different forum. Don, maybe
> you and I can raise it in ISOC's Internet Society Task Force forum.
>
> Again, to those who have been critical of ISOC, I reply that it is an
> organization whose members are committed to non-commercial values and who
> will be likely to vote those values in the upcoming At-Large elections.
>
> Cheers,
> Hans
>

> At 06:10 PM 5/10/00 -0400, Don Heath wrote:
> >
> >At 10:57 PM 5/10/00 +0200, Hans Klein wrote:
> >
> >>As a member of ISOC and a leader of the public policy track of numerous
> >>ISOC/INET conferences, I recognize great value in giving ISOC chapters more
> >>of a voice in the NCDNHC. The *membership* of ISOC has often been a
> >>powerful and effective voice for civil society, for developing countries,
> >>and for small business -- all the groups that often feel unrepresented in
> >>the ICANN power structure. Unfortunately, because ISOC as an organization
> >>has so often been aligned with trademark interest and pro-regulation
> >>national governments,
> >
> >Arrrrgh. Hans, you cut me to the quick! I can understand why you MIGHT
> >say trademark interests (only because I served on a WIPO panel) even though
> >ISOC would not side with one view over another on the subject of TM. [We
> >would try to cite an objective view and one that would attempt to highlight
> >ramifications to the Internet - as opposed to addressing the specific issue
> >of TM interests vs . . . .] But, I digress.
> >
> >Please don't ever be under the impression that we would be aligned with
> >pro-regulation governments. That is almost laughable to associate ISOC
> >with such a thing. Interestingly, we may have some national chapters who
> >could be viewed as you describe.
> >

> >>I strongly encourage ISOC chapters to loudly and clearly articulate the
> >>values upon which ISOC is founded. ISOC is not a trademark organization.
> >>ISOC is not a supporter of Internet regulation. ISOC is not a supporter
> >>of powerful and centralized governance of cyberspace.
> >
> >Thanks Hans! Well said.
> >
> >I am in an awkward position on the subject of chapters being able to
> >vote. whatever position I might take would be the wrong one. I would
> >rather see this vetted as it is being done now, and let the chips fall
> >where they may as a result of the discussions.
> >
> >Best,
> >Don
> >

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to ncdnhc-discuss as: love@cptech.org

James Love, Consumer Project on Technology
P.O. Box 19367 | http://www.cptech.org
Washington, DC 20036 | love@cptech.org
Voice 202/387-8030 | Fax 202/234-5176