Re: [ncc-charter] charter amendment - non-voting members?

From: Milton Mueller (mueller@syr.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 07:27:43 PDT

    At 08:26 AM 9/4/2000 -0700, Kent Crispin wrote:
    >The vast majority of businesses are completely ineligible to vote in the
    >NCC. As far as general participation is concerned, the other
    >constituencies vary. The hated IPC constituency explicitly allows
    >participation by non-members, interestingly enough.

    False again. One must be a member -- and pay $900 -- to participate.

    >1) it is a restriction with very little application, effectively only
    >applying to registrars and registries, and they don't have much interest
    >in the NCC.

    This is just plain wrong. TLD registries are non-commercial in many
    countries. Bill Semich is a perfect example of the conflict of interest
    that arises. He didn't want new TLDs because it represented competition
    with his fake "non-commercial" ccTLD registry.

    As someone Adam points out below, it is easy to create a non-commercial
    front organization, and we would not allow INTA, which is a non-profit
    trade association, to join this constituency.