Re: PAB How long domain names

From: Peter Mott (peter@2day.net.nz)
Date: Tue Dec 02 1997 - 19:06:34 PST

>Should single-character domains be allowed under the new gTLDs? The hot
>question is really concerning single-character SLDs. Is there any
>technical reason they should be disallowed?

Sounds like a question for a technical group rather than a policy group.

>How about two-character SLDs? Where and why should we draw limits.

Both one and two character SLD's exist in the existing TLD's.

>From a market value perspective, single character SLDS are probably going to
attract considerable attention.

I can see them being traded for *big* bucks!

How about a maximum length? Our experience dealing with mulitple
registrars is that they all have different policy. In some cases no policy.

Would be nice if there was some standard for maximum length other than
what Unix can cope with (very long)

Regards,
     Peter Mott
     Chief Enthusiast