Re: PAB How long domain names

From: Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 1997 - 15:04:47 PST

On Wed, Dec 03, 1997 at 12:20:08PM +0100, Javier SOLA wrote:
> PAB
>
> The discussion has now enlarged...
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Should 1 letter characters be allowed as SLDs?

NO. All 1 letter SLDs should be reserved.

> 2) Should two letter country codes be allowed as SLD ?
YES.

> Should the country
> have priority in an ACP ?

No opinion, leaning to "YES" -- I see this as fundamentally a
legal question, and I think the ACP's should follow whatever
guidelines can be gleaned from current legal knowledge. Also, I am
swayed by John's point that I would rather not have CORE run afoul of
some country over the issue.

> 3) Should generics be allowed ?

I don't know what is meant by "generics". On the face of it, "YES"

> Should CORE manage Third level domains
> under the most popular SLDs ?

I can imagine that at some point, under some circumstances, CORE might
manage 3LDs for specific SLDs designated for some special purpose.
And certainly, if CORE owned "core.info" it would manage whatever was
under that. But as a general policy CORE should not manage 3LDs.
Ie, NO.

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...