Re: PAB Election SNAFU

From: Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Date: Thu Dec 04 1997 - 14:23:44 PST

Going back to Antony's original message on this topic:

On Wed, Dec 03, 1997 at 05:40:41PM -0500, Antony Van Couvering wrote:
> Dear PAB Members,
>
> It is with extreme regret that I announce that there will be an unavoidable
> delay with the PAB Elections. It appears that there is confusion at the
> ITU concerning how to get people on and off the list. One cannot subscribe
> or unsubscribe automatically: the list is moderated, and someone has to
> approve all such requests.
>
> Why does this matter? I have been bugging Robert Shaw for a while now
> about a list of all PAB members. Many of them have been unsubscribed due
> to the volume generated by this list.

This is the part I don't understand. How were they unsubscribed? Did
they voluntarily unsubscribe? Did they request to be resubscribed when
something important came up?

> But they *are* PAB members, and they
> should be informed that there is an election coming up. As a body I think
> we agreed on that point.

I don't recall this question ever coming up. As I recall, the concern
was about people who had not been on the list at all, because they had
never been added, but who had expressed an interest in being on PAB.
People who voluntarily unsubscribe are, in my opinion, a totally
different issue. From my perspective, removing yourself from the list
is the same as resigning from PAB. I think any gtld-mou signatory
should have the option of leaving PAB at any time, and of joining at
any time, but WITHOUT OTHER ARRANGEMENTS, voluntarily unsubscribing
for the list should require voluntary resubscribing.

Of course, this all depends on what they told the list moderator when
they requested to unsubscribe.

> I have the list, I can send them all an email personally to inform them of
> coming elections, but at present I cannot get an answer about how they can
> subscribe to the list again for the purposes of voting.

How many people are there who were subscribed, but requested to be
unsubscribed?

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...