Re: PAB IMPORTANT: Straw Poll POC Composition

From: Peter Mott (peter@2day.net.nz)
Date: Mon Dec 08 1997 - 02:36:27 PST

Peter Mott wrote

>> In my view playing with the makeup of POC does little to build
credibility
>> or provide broader representation.
>> It may give the appearance of such, but thats about all.

Paul Kane wrote

>Ahhhh .... the art of politics .... :-)

>In political terms having a broad representation builds political
>credibility.

I see distinct PR problems stemming from a move to give influential
or noisy organisations seats on POC as an attempt to gain
credibility.

They are likely to be organisations claiming to represent others
whom they have not even consulted.

Smaller and non US resident signatories in particular are likely to
feel their participation in PAB is being undermined.

Personally, I think all POC seats should be elected from PAB.
This way every organisation,no matter what size or where they
reside, has equal opportunity for participation.

The participation I speak of is in decision making by the way.

PAB at this time is limited by the gTLD-MoU to the provision
of advice to POC on matters of policy.

This is crippling PAB and must be changed if empowerment
of the signatories is to be realised.

Regards,
     Peter Mott
     Chief Enthusiast