Re: pab-excom Re: Who is who in PAB? (and who votes on bahalf of who?) -Reply

From: Antony Van Couvering (avc@netnamesusa.com)
Date: Thu Dec 18 1997 - 11:30:07 PST

Kevin,

You are making the chair a committee with this suggestion -- the chair
essentially performs the function you would assign to a committee. I
disagree strongly with the idea of having a Consensus Working Group -- this
will create a very strong, unaccountable power group who will have the
power to say what consensus is -- and who will gainsay them? If experience
is any guide, it will be populated by the same people who are appointed to
POC. It would spell the end of PAB as an independent body.

The PAB is an open body where anyone's message is posted to the list with
the same weight as another persons. That is its strength as well as what
makes it cumbersome. A consensus in PAB, while perhaps difficult to
achieve, is very strong when it happens. There is no back room in PAB when
it comes to policy issues, and only a minimal bureaucracy.

Your suggestion makes PAB a representative democracy -- with the Consensus
WG as the controlling body --, except that people won't have a chance to vote.

I think PAB is best served by strengthening its participatory character,
not by moving effective control of the decision-making process to a small
group.

Antony