Re: Fwd: Re: Who is who in PAB? (and who votes on bahalf of who?)

From: Sascha Ignjatovic (sascha@isoc.vienna.org)
Date: Thu Dec 18 1997 - 19:29:43 PST

On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, Kent Crispin wrote:

> It's trivial to set up a structure that works well when everyone is
> happy and nice and working together. It is a lot more challenging to
> develop a structure that holds up when things get tough.
>
> The fact is that the registrars are being put in a potentially very
> competitive position, with some very large, deep-pocket players and
> some very small players. Almost certainly some of them are not going
> to make it, and their $10000 plus will be down the drain. Life will
> go on -- this is only business -- but there is potential for extreme
> emotion in this.
>
> We members of PAB and POC will know and like many of the registrars,
> but the fact is that our first duty is to the public, not CORE, even
> though we don't know the public like we do our friends. Right now of
> course we all want things to succeed, and we all work together. But
> at some point our different roles in the overall structure will come
> into play. POC will be asked to set a policy -- say to set minimum
> prices for domain names, or some such thing, to keep some of the small
> registrars from far away places from going out of business. Then
> things will be very hard, because the public interest won't be the
> same as the registrars' interest.
>
> PAB will be in the thick of such decisions. Right now IAHC/iPOC/POC
> has really lead things. But I believe that PABs role will increase
> substantially over the next few years, because it is the body that
> really has the potential of involving the "public".

mr.crispin thank you for your role in leading us toward a
"strong pab" understanding

if you manage to establish a "leading" role of pab without
brocke "the thing in peaces" it should be fine
-i can imagine that the poc also thinks like
 "we are the leaders" and core may think "we are the leaders"

if pab becomms the thing wich unite all of us than i see a
"strong pab" you sugest posible

if pab is dividing between us than i see people rebeling
against pab

still waiting for pab votes resoults and hope than to be ablle
to congratulate you as pab chairman

thank you
sascha