Re: Who is who in PAB?

From: Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Date: Sat Dec 20 1997 - 06:26:48 PST

Some thoughts on the idea of a "Consensus WG", and other things.

("K" = Kevin; "A" = Antony, in the following. If I mess up an attribution,
please forgive me.)

A: You are making the chair a committee with this suggestion -- the chair
A: essentially performs the function you would assign to a committee.

K: I would expect that the Consensus Working Group would be subject to
K: recall at the pleasure of the Membership; in addition, that the Membership
K: would have an explicit method for pulling the plug on the Consensus
K: Working Group concept itself

Note that there is a distinction between the term "Working Group" and
the term "Committee". As described, the "Consensus WG" is really a
standing committee, and, I think, might therefore be better named the
"Consensus Committee" -- a WG generally is oriented towards a
specific, relatively short-term goal. So I will use that
terminology, to see how it looks...

More in the vein of the above points, though, a committee could either
be selected by the membership at large, or could be appointed by the
chair -- there are various pros and cons with either method. (I will
get to those below).

In general, the idea of a "Consensus Committee" is a little
speculative. However, there are two specific, related tasks that are
quite prominent at this moment -- one is running elections, the other
is keeping track of the membership.

In addition, I note that in the IETF straw polls are very frequently
used to determine consensus. A WG chair will ask "How many people
feel they are knowledgable enough about this esoteric technical issue
to have an opinion?" (about 10% raise their hands) "Of those
knowledgable enough, how many think we should do X?" -- and so on.

So there is no conflict between finding consensus and running
elections, and in fact they are closely related.

I note further that many organizations have an "Election Committee"
-- I don't know, from personal experience, what these committees do,
but the name is certainly suggestive.

My obvious suggestion, therefore, is that if we are to have a
committee, that there is a natural collection of functions that could
be included.

[...]
K: I am suggesting that
K: this WG model might get people interested/active again. What concerns
K: me is why it is that so many of us are quick to find takeover conspiracies
K: under every rock and behind every governance proposal?