Re: PAB Re: WIPO ACP delays

From: Peter Mott (peter@2day.net.nz)
Date: Sat Dec 27 1997 - 13:31:14 PST

>Bob Helfant

>Taking customers based on whether or not you feel they have the right to a
>domain name is surely asking for trouble. I suggest we do what NSI does
>and let the parties involved deal with it.

Any supplier of services needs the freedom to decide who they will do business
with and who they will not.

It is also reasonable that they can make this choice based a number of things
none the least of which is the suppliers assessment of customer credit risk.

A supplier may also not wish to do business with particular people because
doing so may harm their reputation. This is completely reasonable.

There are a number of criteria that a supplier may not exclude a customer on.

I guess this varies according to the jurisdiction concerned, but here in NZ
we have human rights and consumer protection laws which state very clearly
what these are.

It is important for a commercial operator to enjoy the freedoms I speak of
so that they may protect their investment, position their product in the
market, and optimise profitability.

Having said all of that, back to the question ...

I think the contract between registrar and customer could require the
customer to certify they are not requesting the name for purposes which
the registrar determines inappropriate.

I would leave it up to individual registrars to determine what "inappropriate"
meant.

If the customer breached this condition, then the registrar would have the
option of cancelling the contract and removing the name.

Regards

Peter Mott
Chief Enthusiast
2DAY INTERNET LTD