Re: PAB US Government Seeking Input on Trademarks

From: Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Date: Fri Jan 02 1998 - 11:13:40 PST

On Fri, Jan 02, 1998 at 11:49:08AM -0500, Connolly wrote:
> Dear Colleagues:
>
> The United States Patent and Trademark Office has announced the
> formation of a Public Advisory Committee on trademarks. Trademark
> policy has an obvious relationship to the Domain Name Wars. I commend
> PAB's attention to
> http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/sol/notices/fr97121844.html
> for the details.
>
> The deadline for us to send a letter to the Dept. of Commerce is January
> 8. We need to
> identify a PAB member who is qualified to fulfill this role and to write
> the best possible letter on his or her behalf. This opportunity to
> participate in the shaping of US trademark policy is too good to pass
> up.
>
> I am an attorney and I do _some_ trademark work. However, I am not the
> PAB member most highly qualified to carry out this function. PAB has
> been blessed by the participation of several attorneys from the firm of
> Robin, Blecker, Daley & Driscoll, one of whom --Marylee Jenkins-- has
> told me that she's looking to play a bigger role in PAB.
>
> As yet, I have not been able to reach Marylee to confirm her readiness,
> willingness and ability too take on this role as a PAB nominee.
> However, I have every reason to believe that she or one of her partners
> at that firm -- which specializes in United States intellectual property
> practice -- would accept our nomination.
>
> In short, PAB has an opportunity to participate in a United States
> Government policy panel on issues which are relevant to the MoUvement.
>
> It would also be welcome for any other US citizens who meet the
> qualifications set forth in the notice to make themselves known on this
> list so that they may also be considered.
>
> Very truly yours,
>
> Kevin J. Connolly

I think this is a superb idea, and an outstanding opportunity. The
notice states:

   SUMMARY: The Patent and Trademark Office is seeking five members
   for the Public Advisory Committee for Trademark Affairs. Member
   terms would begin on January 1, 1998. A member must be an
   organization that is representative of the intellectual property
   community, e.g., a bar group, a business organization or an
   academic institution. Organizations interested in membership
   should send a letter expressing that interest and containing the
   information set out in the Supplementary information to the Patent
   and Trademark Office.

It would be very good indeed if PAB could be a member. I propose,
therefore, that we draft a letter quickly. Kevin, do you have time
to draft one, or should some other "volunteer" be enlisted?

As I read the notice, the issue of which individual member of PAB
should be the representative is independent of whether PAB should be a
member, and thus we can proceed on the letter without hearing from
Marylee (though it would be good to have a volunteer or two in hand
before we actually send the letter.)

Kevin: am I correct in this assumption, or do we actually have to name
an individual from the start?

To all:

If there are any serious objections to PAB leaping at this golden
opportunity, you must voice them in the next few days. Otherwise, we
need to proceed.

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...