Re: PAB Composition of POC

From: Antony Van Couvering (avc@netnamesusa.com)
Date: Wed Jan 07 1998 - 17:18:05 PST

Dan,

I wrote a long response to this right after the POC composition issue was
bruited. I copied it to the PAB list.

In summary, my thoughts are as follows:

That, absent sufficient safeguards, the proposal makes the POC the
executive council for PAB, effectively gutting the function and
effectiveness of PAB. If PAB elects a full half of POC, and if POC runs
things, and if the POC reps from PAB don't report fully to PAB, which in
our experience they have a tendency not to do, then the PAB will have no
independent existence and the distinction between PAB and POC will be an
academic one. I feel that if we want this to happen -- and there are
arguments pro and con -- we should at least decide on it, instead of having
it happen under the guise of a reform of POC.

A large part of the "POC recomposition" actually hinges on reconstituting
the PAB. We would be setting up separate constituencies within PAB, with
an as-yet-undefined way of selecting these constituencies. Again, if we're
going to talk about changing the composition of PAB, let's do that, and not
pretend that we're talking about POC.

The new PAB constituencies have the potential to be very divisive.

My recommendations:

1. Make sure that the PAB has a separate leadership that does *not* include
the PAB reps on POC. Otherwise there will be no effective distinction
between the two groups.

2. Insist on a clearly method for defining how the PAB members will fit
into their new constituencies, and a clear method for voting on them.

3. Insist that this is a larger issue than POC is pretending that it is.
It affects PAB greatly as well, and PAB recomposition cannot be considered
a separate issue. The PAB would be foolish to accept the premise that this
is only about POC.

4. In view of my third suggestion, I think that the PAB ought to include
anyone who wants to join. I don't think they should have to sign the full
gTLD-MoU. I would again propose a "gTLD-MoU lite" that would include only
the principles outlined in Paragraph 2 of the gTLD-MoU.

Thanks for your time,

Antony