Re: PAB Consensus Call: Email archives

From: Robert F. Connelly (rconnell@psi-japan.com)
Date: Sat Jan 10 1998 - 07:27:08 PST

At 11:20 AM 1/9/98 -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
<snip>

>Anyway, as to the specific issue of making archives publicly readable,
>I also have to question what the point is. I do not believe there is
>any reasonable expectation of privacy in what is posted here, but on
>the other hand I'm not sure what the purpose would really be. To
>assure people we are boring?

Dear PAB:

I've been reading many messages on this subject.

I think many of us in the past wrote to this list with the understanding that
we were writing only to other PAB members.  Of course, I have recognised that
other PAB members could forward messages to others, as Dave Crocker points out.

I remember one time I found something I had written found its way into an
automated archive which Dave Crocker's staff had prepared -- and I was not
pleased.

However, if the "open archives" policy is from now to the future (not
retroactive), I would be less hesitant to approve the concept.

<pause>

I've now read all the mail on this subject. Good thoughts have been proposed
by all.

I don't see a problem would result from the fact that Peter has discussed his
ambivalence about having his discussion of reasons for a closed archive. These
have all been good, logical thoughts and some of the best interactions I've
seen to date on our List.

I have one remaining hesitancy that I have not seen discussed by others. That
is the potential for legal action for libel against one given List member or
against PAB in general. For that reason, I maintain my objections to a
retroactive opening of our archives.

Some times we've replied to what we thought was the *writer only* to discover
after the fact that the "reply" mode was to the list, not the individual
writer. I've been embarrassed that way on at least one occasion, Antony on one
or more occasions.

I therefore maintain my objection to open archives prior to 1998.

Regards,
BobC

Regards,
BobC