Re: PAB Consensus Call: Email archives

From: Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Date: Wed Jan 21 1998 - 21:57:46 PST

On Thu, Jan 22, 1998 at 01:27:15PM +1300, Peter Mott wrote:
> > However, weight will be given to exceptionally cogent objections.
>
> I guess my view was not suffiently "cogent" :-)

Your view was cogent, and weight was given to it. However, I think
even you would agree that it is very much a minority view.

But we are all treading on uncertain ground these days -- a year
from now we could be trying something new...

> So where to from here?

Good question. Unfortunately, the US Government has become involved
-- we have, as you well know, Magaziner's report just ahead of us; we
may have congressional action after that. These influences cannot be
ignored, because IANA and the root nameserver operators won't ignore
them. These heavy shadows make it difficult to progress, because the
rules of the game could shift at any time.

But three things come to mind -- working on David Maher's proposal for
changing POC composition, working on the charter, and working on what
I will call our "public interface" -- the web page and associated
issues.

The first item, working on David's proposal, is highest priority,
because he actually has a live proposal on the floor that ascribes
certain roles to PAB. The second item, the charter, is quite
difficult to work on because of the various uncertainties we are
under. The third item is a practical matter, and I think we can make
good progress there.

For each of these issues I have an idea I would to toss out. I will
do that as separate messages.

--
Kent Crispin, PAB Chair			"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...