PAB some infos about NSF

From: Sascha Ignjatovic (sascha@isoc.vienna.org)
Date: Sat Jan 31 1998 - 20:01:52 PST

taken from
http://www.cavebear.com/nsf-dns/
from mr.karl auerbach
(maybe the situation is changing and NSI will handle all data to the nsf
 but some points may be despite that of interest to you)
thanks
sascha

My Opinions

The Internet would not be anything nearly as successful as it is today had
there been no National Science Foundation

Indeed, this collection of Web Pages would not have been possible had
various agencies of the
United States government, such as DARPA and NSF, not been unstinting
supporters.

In recent years, the Internet has taken a life of its own. And major
developments, such as, for
example the World Wide Web have occurred under other auspices.

The infrastructure of the Internet has become an exceedingly valuable
asset.

The legal and political issues around the Internet are highly complex. No
nation is in control.

The National Science Foundation is right in the middle of this situation.

And as one would expect, NSF has made some mistakes.

The National Science Foundation is not an organization designed to make
highly political, highly
sensitive policy decisions.

Yet that is exactly what the NSF has done. And has done so in private,
without public input, and
without public accountability.

I believe that NSF is substantially harming the Internet, the Domain Name
System and the citizens
of the United States.

It is my opinion that that the National Science Foundation is acting in
violation of a number of laws
of the United States.

        I believe that the NSF is violating The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 USC
552a).

        I also believe that the NSF is imposing and collecting an indirect
sales tax without any
        authorization from the Congress of the United States

        I believe that the NSF, without any legislative authorization, has
exceeded its powers
        and has financed the creation of a highly profitable, private,
worldwide, unregulated
        monopoly.

        Furthermore NSF is on the verge of giving away valuable property
to private
        individuals and corporations without any authorization from the
Congress of the United
        States or any Executive Order.

Updated: January 29, 1998