PAB Re: USG Green Paper

From: Perry E. Metzger (perry@piermont.com)
Date: Tue Feb 03 1998 - 05:52:28 PST

Roberto Gaetano writes:
> Our "obligation" to listen to Ira Magaziner does not come from our
> approval of the Green Paper, but from the fact that he has the keys to
> the root.

I believe that Jon Postel has those, not Mr. Magaziner, and I can't
find any legal obligation for Jon Postel to listen to Mr. Magaziner.

The process by which the gTLD MoU was established was clean. There was
nothing wrong with it, and no reasonable cause for the U.S. government
to attempt to intervene this way. They also have no legal authority to
intervene this way. They also lack any moral authority to do so -- the
internet is an international entity, not a U.S. government creature.

Perry