Re: PAB be constructive.

From: Perry E. Metzger (perry@piermont.com)
Date: Thu Feb 05 1998 - 09:44:33 PST

Jim Dixon writes:
> > So far as I can tell (and I talk to a lot of people) the overwhelming
> > majority of the people who give a damn support us. The complainers
> > have difficulty complaining about what we propose to do, because it
> > makes far too much sense, so they bitch about our structure, which is
> > nearly irrelevant, but provides them with an excuse for attempting to
> > destroy us so that they can substitute their cherished and profitable
> > monopoly operations.
>
> This is a deeply irrational argument.

I suppose we have a difference of opinion.

> I don't know of any ISPs that support the gTLD MOU.

None, Jim? Now your credibility with me is REALLY falling. First of
all, we a number of ISPs who are here on the PAB and who have signed
the MoU. Second of all, I know of a lot of ISPs that support the
thing. They rarely speak on the subject because they have no deep
interest in it, but they are supportive.

Beyond this, I have yet to see from you, or from anyone else, a really
sane statement of what is wrong with our plan. I've heard lots of
"insufficient representatives from special interest X", but on
questions of substance, like whether or not particular features of
what we are planning on doing make sense or not, we hear silence,
largely because few people have strong arguments against it.

> I talk to a lot of ISPs.

So do I, as it turns out. It is hard, working in the business that I'm
in, not to. It is also a bit hard for you to claim special knowledge
when many of the rest of us know ISP operators. Hell, I had lunch with
one a couple of days ago -- several are good friends.

> I am afraid that "helping" in this case does not mean accepting the
> quasi-religious sentiments behind the MOU.

What religious sentiment?

You are very good at being insulting, very good about claiming "grave
difficulties", but not very good at either trying to help or at
explaining what is wrong with the way we plan to run the gTLDs.

Perry