Re: PAB The Green Paper and competing registries

From: Jim Dixon (jdd@vbc.net)
Date: Thu Feb 26 1998 - 15:33:47 PST

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Jim Dixon writes:
> > Talk about how to conduct experiment with monopoly registries. Talk
> > about how to set things up so that if a monopoly registry goes bad
> > it is possible to recover from it.
>
> We've conducted the monopoly experiment.

No you haven't.

> NSI cut off piermont.com early this week for 24 hours. I'd already
> paid several times, but I paid again. After all, it was that or lose
> business. I know many other companies that have done the same.
>
> Do we have to conduct this experiment again? Frankly, I'd rather not.

I do not support NSI in any way. But your personal bad experience
with NSI, like my personal bad experience with NSI, is irrelevant.

NSI was not set up as a small controlled experiment. It was given
the whole thing, all of the existing non-country code TLDs, with
no significant oversight and no recovery path.

--
Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015