Re: Official PAB position on competing registry administration authorities

From: John C Klensin (klensin@mci.net)
Date: Sat Feb 28 1998 - 09:57:35 PST

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998 09:47:57 -0800 Dave Crocker
<dcrocker@brandenburg.com> wrote:

> On the other hand, it remains essential that these groups be operated on a
> strict cost-recovery basis and with an explicit public oversight function.

Dave,

Without commenting on any other aspect of your note (or this
debate), I think it is worth noting that, to most active players
in the political/governmental arena, the phrase "explicit public
oversight function" sounds exactly like, and has exactly the
same semantics as, "permanent government regulation".

Regulatory bodies like the FCC and their counterparts in other
countries exist to provide and facilitate what, in governmental
models, is "public oversight".

Be careful what you ask for, especially as an "official PAB
position".

    john