Re: PAB white paper is out

From: Sascha Ignjatovic (sascha@isoc.vienna.org)
Date: Fri Jun 05 1998 - 17:13:29 PDT

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Dave Crocker writes:
> > At 11:50 AM 6/5/98 -0700, Kent Crispin wrote:
> > >I think so, too. The white paper really seems to be a significant
> > >retreat on the part of the USG.
> >
> > Except for the fact that it causes yet-more delay before new tlds and
> > registars get under way, and that means even more windfall revenue for NSI.
>
> The entire situation makes me want to vomit. Essentially, the
> government is now saying that what we did in the first place (convene
> a committee of community representatives) was the right idea, but
> completely without acknowledging that we ALREADY went through the
> process.
>
> Perry

with my limited abillity to understand i see the situation not so bad
-it is the "best out of the wrong thing"
 -it could be much worser !

as i understand the present iana will be the organisation who will
develope a concept for the new iana-or whatever name the new organisation
becomes and establish it

the present iana is in hands of dr.postel and he is also one of the major
architects for the new structure

so besides some timely delays i see hier no big problems

i see it more as a victory for the internet community

do you have any problems with the composition of the "new iana" ?

or is it the unclear situation for pab what makes you trubles?

i dont see the white paper that it starts another public dicsussion

it states clear that the iana will take charge in building the new
non for profit organisation and it states clear who should be represented
on in in the first run

it states not explicitely who and how the internet user part of the
new iana would be chosen but this could be dealt out with the
"transition" iana

but if it may make you trubles that the poc is not in his entayerity
represented within iana well.. what to do ..?

i would be confident in mr.postel and try to assist him wherever posible
and needed i am shure he and other expirianced and wise people will do
the best posible effort to protect the stablitiy of internet and enable
further evolution and in the same time ensure that the internet in its
vital parts would be in hands of the rigth people

i can only repeat what mr.heath hase sayed to me last time when i saw him
in bruessel

"the importend thing is to have a strong position for iana and if this
 hapens the rest will fall in place"

so i see the white paper giving iana a strong position

the rest should be dealt out with iana

is there a posibility to get some statements of dr.postel or mr.heath
to the situation ?

i just noticed that iana hase a new home page :-)

http://www.iana.org/

there are lot of informations !!

thanks
sascha
ps.what is the "bigest" problem with the situation now besides that it
   is not taking the poc pab etc directly into acount or that it will
   take some more time to satlle everything down ?