Re: PAB [ooblick@NETPOLICY.COM ...]

From: Javier SOLA (jsola@aui.es)
Date: Sat Jun 27 1998 - 06:53:01 PDT

So far, three meeting have been called:

A meeting in the US, organised mainly by NSI and CIX. There has been an
ongoing game of changing sponsors and ownership of the domain name
giaw.org, which, in a given week, changed almost daily... from an employee
of NSi's home address to CIX, to somebody else, back to CIX...

In order to get international support, they have now created something
else, IFWP, which includes some of the above, NSi has officially
dissapeared from the list (which is probably just a PR move) and excludes
some (DNRC), while adding an ISP organisation from Asia Pacific, one from
the European Union and one from Canada. ISOC has declared that it that it
should be at all places where action takes place, and therefore they will
attend these meetings if they take place.

No meetings othe than the one in the US have yet been proposed by this
coalition.

The European Union Commission has called for a meeting of European Union
industry and user representatives that will take place in Brussels on July
7th. The agenda will be posted soon. I understand (and this is only my
personal understanding) that this meeting does not attempt to come out with
*the truth* but to be an exchange of ideas between EU parties and has hopes
of being able to come out with some input for the process.

The most important meeting so far will take place in Geneva on July
24/25th, during INET, we expect all interested parties to show up there.

My impression is that no major decissions will come out of these meetings,
except input for the process, such as recommendations or agreements on
requirements that the bylaws of nIANA (new IANA) must include.

Something must be in place by September 30th and we expect much more
activity to take place.

Javier