Re: PAB Should we speak?

From: K S LIM (ks_lim@logchina.com.sg)
Date: Sun Jul 05 1998 - 23:59:32 PDT

Kent Crispin wrote:

> Folks, I have forwarded some messages to the PAB list expressing
> concerns about the "IFWP process". Those are my personal
> expressions, of course, and are not meant to express the sentiment of
> PAB.

Dear Kent
I have read your messages and am in agreement with them.

> But I am curious to know what the sentiment of PAB is. The Green
> Paper and the White Paper have effectively blocked the MoU from
> progressing, and, as has been expressed several times, we are thrown
> back in time a year and a half. Probably within the next six months a
> new IANA will be formed, and then a "names council" (Jon Postel's
> term), and then at some point some new TLDs will be added. This new
> structure will almost certainly incorporate elements of the the MoU,
> since the MoU basically covered a lot of the ground pretty well.

I am disappointed with what had happened and am sorry for members of
CORE(I am not working for a member of CORE nor have any interest in one)

> PAB is the body that most directly represents the 200 odd signatories
> of the MoU -- POC and CORE cannot make that claim -- and an official
> PAB position potentially carries significant weight.
>
> The question: is there an interest in PAB in forming a position on
> the matter of the "new IANA"? A collective PAB position could be very
> influential: the list of MoU signatories is an impressive list.

However, Life has to go on. I believe that it is important for PAB to
formulate if possible, a collective position. (at least we should
attempt to do it).
Best regards,

--
KS LIM