PAB The random magic number .... :^)

From: Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim (rms46@surat.com)
Date: Mon Jul 27 1998 - 19:18:38 PDT

Kent Crispin wrote:

> Examples of such regulations are "gTLD registries will allow equal
> access to all qualified registrars"; "gTLDs must allow registrations
> from all comers on a non-discriminatory, fair basis"; "TLD registries
> will pay $0.01/year/domain to nIANA to support the root nameservers".
> If or when "chartered" TLDs are developed, some of the policies in a
> TLD charter would be regulations.

This is one thing that I hate really much (including that in TLD-ID):
assigning a random number to an important issue :-(.

> The "single unified name space" goal has certain implications for the
> Root zone. It must be extremely reliable; it must be "trustworthy";
> it must abide by widely accepted operational practices; and it must be
> cost-effective. Any Root zone that substantially fails to meet these
> goals will be changed, or will be replaced.

The consequence of a "private space" is that others could
have their own "private space". Therefore, we should stop
calling others as pirates ...

> Thinking this far leads one to a particularly simple-minded theory of
> Root Zone management: The Root is a zone like any other zone -- the
> TLD "owners" rent or otherwise acquire an entry in the Root zone, and
> manage their own zone files autocratically, modulated only by
> recursive policies established by the Root.

Agreed. The RSM (Root Server Management) should be as simple as
possible. Therefore, the nIANA needs to be as simple as possible
without politicians.

> But again, these contracts would need to be drawn in a particular
> legal jurisdiction. For example, nIANA might require that all TLD
> "owners" must sign a contract, under US law, with nIANA. This would
> effectively place all TLD policy under US jurisdiction. Many people
> would be offended by such a development, and, in fact, it would
> present a giant political problem.

Agreed. nIANA should be regristered in Caymen Islands, or Vanuatu,
or Ivory Coast, or any places but the US, Europe, etc.

regards,

--
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim <rms46@surat.com> -------------------------
-Grounded Theory = an earth surface electromagnetic theory (m/tic)-