Re: PAB Barcelona meeting information

From: Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Date: Tue Oct 06 1998 - 08:20:00 PDT

(moving this to the pab list)
On Tue, Oct 06, 1998 at 07:19:42AM -0700, Rick H. Wesson wrote:

> all:
>
> I would like to see some discussion on just how folks
> are thinking that the DNSO be formed. I would also like to
> see some maillists started to discuss just this first DNSO,
> i expect there will be more than one.

Highly unlikely. The model is that there is one DNSO, and the
various competing groups work within that one DNSO.

> i would suggest contacting
> other intrested parties that have participated thus far.

Many have been contacted; more will be.

> do folks expect that there will be competing DNSOs?
> GTLD-DNSO
> RSC-DNSO
> NSOL-DNSO

There may be competing startup efforts, but there will be only one
DNSO. The situation is like that of the IFWP -- it has to be a
consensus organization before it will be accepted. According to the
ICANN bylaws ccTLDs, other registries, registrars, other interested
parties -- all must be included in the DNSO.

Consequently, in the final analysis it doesn't really make any
difference who starts the ball rolling. There is some small advantage
to being first, because some of the ground rules will crystalize
around the early participants. But the later arrivals still have to
agree.

--
Kent Crispin, PAB Chair			"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...