Re: PAB [Fwd: DNSO Important update: The "Merged" Draft]

From: Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Date: Wed Jan 27 1999 - 16:32:59 PST

On Wed, Jan 27, 1999 at 05:43:44PM +0000, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> Based on the wording suggestions so far today, here's what I have:
>
> Current:
> 4. Registrars: a DNSO member who is a registrar of
> generic/global or country-code TLDs (defined as an entity with a
> direct contractual relationship with a registry as defined
> below),
>
> 5. Registries: a DNSO member who is a DNS Top Level Domain
> ("TLD") registry (defined as an entity with write authority to a
> zone referenced by a TLD),
>
> Replacement:
> 2. Registries: a DNSO member who is a DNS Top Level Domain ("TLD")
> registry, defined as an entity that regularly publishes the
> authoritative zone file for the TLD zones which have been delegated
> to it by {ICANN};
>
> 3. Registrars: a DNSO member who is a registrar of generic/global
> or country-code TLDs, defined as an entity authorized by {ICANN}
> with direct update priviledges for a TLD registry zone file as
> defined above;
>
> Do we have consensus among ourselves on this wording?

I have a concern about the apparent circularity of the registrar
definition. One thing should be born in mind -- there is a
"membership" committee that ajudicates these matters, so there is
some human judgement involved.

Incidentally, the current order of the category list is
alphabetical. That is because of a comment by business interests
-- they were wondering if there was some sort of representational
priority implied by list order, and said that if not the list should
be alphabetical. While I think the point is not consequential, I am
more than willing to concede it -- if only disagreements were so
minor :-)

> Who should propose
> this to the drafters of DNSO?

Proposals should be sent to proposals@dnso.org.

Kent

--
Kent Crispin, PAB Chair				"Do good, and you'll be
kent@songbird.com				lonesome." -- Mark Twain