PAB Re: martys@INTERPORT.NET: Whois usage rules

From: Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim (rms46@oke.com)
Date: Wed May 12 1999 - 17:51:12 PDT

Kent Crispin wrote:

>> Marty Schwimmer wrote on NSI:
>>> "You agree that you will not reproduce, sell, transfer, or
>>> modify any of the data presented in response to your search
>>> request, or use of any such data for commercial purpose, without
>>> the prior express written permission of Network Solutions."
>> Now what?

> I was requesting that people send in their own letters to NSI
> indicating that they do not agree with the policy.

Arguing with NSI? Whoa! "NSOL" is yet a multi-million dollar
company, #2 in 1998 for one-year total stock return. I would
rather consult my lawyers first!

Anyway, who have made this servant for the "internet community",
a master? I think it was the IAB. However, apparently Kobe
1992 really had made a damage to the IAB. I also still don't
understand why both IANA and ISOC have never took the IAB
seriously, at least in their written statements.

>> What next?
> Send a letter; support ICANN; become a member of ICANN when
> membership opens.

I have difficulties to calculate the ROI of being a member of
ICANN. I don't think that individuals in the third world would
have any benefit of being an ICANN member.

Furthermore, ICANN is a constituency based organization. This
is not so compatible with voluntary individual based organizations
like the IETF family.

regards,

--
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim --- http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/6825/ --
- Join us now and share the software;You'll be free, hackers - rms6