Re: PAB [chrisc@NETSOL.COM: AN IFWP CONSENSUS-BASED PROPOSAL]

From: Werner Staub (werner@axone.ch)
Date: Mon Aug 10 1998 - 02:44:47 PDT

Kent,

> In addition to being an extreme example of PR cluelessness,
> though, I do think it has some interesting features -- the
> section on the tasks of the interim board is a nice touch,
> for example...

I mistrust SAIC too much to believe they are clueless, even
when they do look clueless.

Their draft is a demagogical masterpiece. Power to the people,
etc. - about in the style of Peron or the Bonapartes. Americans may have
trouble understanding this because they never had populist
dictators.

The essence of NSI's proposal is to give votes to individuals
who will then give proxies. Look at their customer database to
see how many proxies they would be able to get. Their
draft contains no word on restricting the use of proxies.

The other component of their strategy is to put NSI on the
board initially. The way do this is to propose that CORE
should be represented. They can then argue that,
NSI, DNRC and ORSC should be there as well.

That gives them enough power to make sure the "membership" is
consulted for every decision. Then they use the money and the huge
customer files to boost the number of proxy-giving members
and aquire total control of the board within a year (or why
else do they ask for the entire board to rotate in two years?).

I would advise everybody (even those who act as unsuspecting
cronies for SAIC currently) to consider the enormous demagogical
power SAIC has thanks the combined value of its database (including
all the details, not just the whois information), its political
relationships and its cash.

Regards,

Werner