Re: PAB Proposal for email

Peter Mott (peter@2day.net.nz)
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 07:45:24 +1300

Dave Croker wrote:
>I'd like to second this proposal and lobby strongly for it, especially
>since one or more members of the pab list are quite open (pardon the pun)
>about the fact that they forward pab mail on to others all the time.

PAB needs an environment where it can debate issues free from risk
of a particular interpretation being placed on comments by casual
readers (media and others) who only take a snap shot view.

The only views which PAB should convey to the public and media
should be consensus views.

Opening the list for public reading will allow others to decide what
consensus is based on how much they read and when.

This will increase the already fragmented view the
market already has about this process.

In summary, publishing this list to non members will discourage
participation in the PAB, and send confusing messages to
the market.

>This list has never been private, since some of its participants are not
>willing to treat it as such. One can work to change their behavior (or
>remove them) or one can declare the list openly readable.

I think that the listserv is in fact a poor choice of tool for the job and
is
contributing to the problem.

There are people on this list who dont understand well how their e-mail
client works, and have on many occasions accidently copied it outside
the list.

Discussions also "run with the hounds" as a result of the lists inherent
inability to cope with multiple threads at the same time.

A web based conference tool which required registration and login to
participate would help lots in my view.

The list serv could be used for announcements (voting etc) to alert
people to fact that an important thread has been commenced on the
web discussion.

If people have not seen how such a forum works, visit

http://www.aardvark.co.nz and click on FORUMS from the left bar

This is an example of a service we provide to a media organisation
so they can communicate with their readers.

> Given the number
>of people and the nature of the discussions, the latter is both simpler
>and, I think, more reasonable.

It will also dilute PAB to a point where nobody wants to participate
in my view.

Regards,
Peter Mott
Chief Enthusiast