PAB Re: core VAT, Sales Tax, Consumption Tax on Internet Domain

Robert F. Connelly (rconnell@psi-japan.com)
Fri, 05 Dec 1997 11:18:59 +0900

At 10:39 PM 12/3/97 +0000, you wrote:
>In Canada and more specifically in the province of Quebec there is a
>federal and a provincial tax to be applied for any products and services
>(kind of a VAT).
>
>The amounts are substantial: 15 %
> -GST (federal): 7 %
> -PST (provincial in Quebec): 7.5 % that add's up to the first tax
>
>These taxes have no effects for corporations since what you pay is
>reduced by what you charge.
>
>But for the individual (the end client) he cannot deduct it, so its a
>15% tax !
>

>These taxes only apply for Canadian customer.
>

>Jacques Bernier
>President
>M=E9diafusion inc

Dear Jacquie et al:

Your posting prompts me to solicit all potential registrants in Canada to
register with a Registrar which is *not in Canada* (such as us ;-). They
can then save 15% on their registration of a domain name.

Such will certainly not benefit Canada. :-{ It will result in an outflow
of capital from Canada by Canadians purchasing *services* via Electronic
Commerce, using credit cards, cyber-cash or the like, from vendors located
in *enlightened* jurisdictions.

Shortsighted Bureaucrats look at a situation like this and think, "How can
we prevent this, can we tax the credit card purchases?"

Thus starts another spiral of tax, close loophole, tax, close another
loophole, tax, ad infinitum

Farsighted realists and free traders say, "That's an aberration and shows
the folly of complex and excessive taxation, let's eliminate the issue."

Regards,
BobC