Re: PAB One-character SLDs

Amadeu Abril i Abril (pab@fcr.es)
Fri, 05 Dec 1997 23:11:44 +0200

Antony Van Couvering wrote:
> =

[...]

[Recovering form a hard disk crash....]
> =

> For your consideration, here are the results:
> =

> 1) Should 1 letter characters be allowed as SLDs? - No (64%)

No opinion. In principle "yes", unless there is a good reason (expecially=

technical) for not doing so. Everything should be allowd unless there is =
sound reason for not doing so....

> 2a) Should two letter country codes be allowed as SLD ? - Yes (93%)

Add another "yes". As the ISO3166 list is continously expanding, this wou=
ld
amount to reserve ALL two-letter SLDs. =

> 2b) Should the country have priority in an ACP ? - No (64%)

No prority, but it could be given consideration for especially damageable=
uses
of such SLDs, or when the owner pretends to be the offical rep`resentatio=
n of
such country. Thos means allowing, under these especial circumstances, th=
at
the relative Governement asks for the exclusion of the SLD, but *not* tha=
they have any priority as to its delegation or transfer.

> 3a) Should generics be allowed ? - Yes (100%)

Yes.

> 3b) Should CORE manage Third level domains under the most popular SLDs =
? -

> No (100%)

I don't believe that 3dLD shpuld exist under the current set of gTLDs. So=
its
a "no". But I don=A1t exlcude that in the future there would be certain
"strucutred" gTLDS.

> 4) Maximum length of domains 63 (70%)

Only technical limitations make sense.