PAB Re: WIPO delays.

Robert F. Connelly (rconnell@psi-japan.com)
Sat, 27 Dec 1997 15:37:31 +0900

At 09:40 AM 12/27/97 -0500, Kevin Connolly wrote:
>Dear Bob:
>
>First things first:
>
>Merry Christmas!
>
>As always, please feel free to re-post or=A0 forward this note, or refrain
>from doing so :-)

<snip>

>Robert F. Connelly wrote:
>>
>> Dear Colleagues:
>>
>> In this posting, I want to set forth our (PSI-Japan's) strong
>> objections to the WIPO ACP delays and the transfer of Albert Tramposch
>> from his assignment to the ACP project.
>
>One way to get WIPO moving is to propose that the system be amended . .
>. too replace WIPO with someone/something else.=A0 This is a matter that
>could be pre-digested on the PAB list for a few weeks prior to the
>January POC/CORE meeting.

27 December 1997, 07:40 PST from California

Dear Kevin:

Before posting my note, in those early morning hours with my head on the
pillow, I thought of throwing the specter of another vehicle for arbitration
into the note.=A0 *That* certainly *should* bring WIPO to their senses.=A0=
However,
the thought faded from my mind on the light of day.=A0 That was an=
unfortunate
omission.=A0 :-{

I think we really should do so in light of the irresponsible act WIPO has=
taken
at this crucial time.

Regards, BobC

>> I first read the proposal for the dispute mediation/arbitration of
>> tradename conflicts last March.=A0 I have been aware for many years of
>> the problem of trademark pirating in Japan.=A0 Like the Internet, the
>> Japan Trademark application process is based upon the first to file.
>> There is no requirement for any proof of use or statement of intent to
>> use the make which is the subject of the application.
>>
>> I had been concerned with the tradename crashes (collisions) on the
Internet.=A0=20
>>I found them similar to the Wild West law of the
>> jungle which prevailed in Japan when I first arrived 26.5 years ago.
>> I saw great benefits from the concept of the ACP's.=A0 I thus elected to
>> go to Geneva to learn more and to sign the gTLD-MoU.
>>
>> One of the aspects which I found particularly laudable was the
>> preemptive *exclusion* of famous trademarks from the "inventory" of
>> names which would be available to CORE.=A0 I've been asking, and asking
>> --- and asking again, when will it come to pass.
>
>Bingo.=A0=A0 The weirdness is that there is a mixed operational/policy
>dimension here.=A0 I believe that there is a sufficienntly operstional
>dimension to permit CORE to adopt and implement a stopgap policy.=A0 A
>number of trademark holders I've been in contact with want to know when
>the process will open for pro-active exclusion.=A0 All that Emergent needs
>is a list.=A0 This is a matter to beat to a pulp at the CORE/iPOC
>meeting.=A0 In particular, I believe CORE should consider adopting an
>interim policy.=A0 For example (really rough concept) a trademark holder
>can pre-file an declaration of intent to apply for pro-active
>exclusion.=A0=A0 Accompanying that declaration with either (a) proof of a
>trademark registration for goods or services which fit within the ambit
>of the TLD and antedate the policy by a long enough time that it does
>not appear to be another form of piracy or (b) declarations from
>appropriate authorities (internationally-known PR companies?) attesting
>to the international fame of the mark.=A0 These names would be
>provisionally poisoned pending ACP action.
>
>Is this a good policy?=A0 No, it's not intrinsically good.=A0 But it is
>better than doing nothing.=A0 Waiting for WIPO to do this for CORE is a
>mistake.=A0 The international trademark comunity wants to know that we're
>doing something.
>
> Best regards,
>
>Kevin J. Connolly
>=20