PAB WIPO ACP delays

Peter Mott (peter@2day.net.nz)
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 08:14:23 +1300

At 01:16 28/12/97 +0900, Robert F. Connelly wrote:
>08:20 PST 27 December, writing from California.

>About three weeks ago, we (PSI-Japan) had applications by a Japanese
>individual
>for sumitomo.firm, toyota.firm, nissen.firm (sic: Nissan misspelled) and
>mitsubishi.firm.=A0 I know that those pirates are out there and ready to
jump on
>well know marks so they can extort "tribute" from the lawful owners.

There are of course no surprises here of course. Although you cant predict
what
they may do with the name.

>Sadly, there are no *excluded* famous marks yet.=A0 Worse than that, the
"final"
>version of the ACP's is not complete and has even been delayed.

My personal view is that it is the process which needs protecting, not the
names.

I think a combination of:-

a) Registrar having business terms and conditions which made it difficult=
for
an applicant to engage in such activity

b) A CORE code of practise which encouraged all registrars to work to=
minimise
such activity

c) The WIPO / ACP stuff to handle the few which make it through the net.

A contract with the applicant / domain holder in which they agreed not to do
certain things with a name seems a better approach. Its probably been
suggested
before and discounted, but it works well for us in NZ.

>That delay, like so many that have been thrust upon us, is endangering=
CORE's
>credibility.=A0 What should we do, 1. delay the startup of the SRS or 2. go
>ahead
>with no "safety net" for the legitimate intellectual property owners?

The delay is endangering credibility or the fact you will all register any
name
for any person when you start up?

You could refuse to register the names could you not? Do you not have that
choice
Robert?

Regards

Peter Mott