Re: WIPO delays, resubmitted to PAB and POC

Bob Helfant (bhelfant@globecomm.com)
Sat, 27 Dec 1997 15:49:29 -0500

The kind of practice described by Robert below does not really happen much
if at all. The rightful owner of a domain name can usually get it simply
by asking. No small time pirate is going to attempt to fight "Xerox" in
court when they know they will lose. The opposite, referred to as reverse
piracy is much more common. This is when a large company who wants a
domain name threatens a small company who owns it with extensive legal
action. The small company may have the right to use the domain because
they use the same word (such as "apple") which may be used by any number of
companies in several industries. The small company cannot stand against a
corporation in the courts (where most of these disputes will end up anyway).

Sincerely,

Bob Helfant
GlobeComm, Inc.