Re: PAB Grass Roots Servers

Dan Busarow (dan@dpcsys.com)
Mon, 02 Feb 1998 00:00:27 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Peter Mott wrote:
> Any comments on this approach?
>
> http://www.best.com/~philh/grs/

??

It's just a variation on alternic. The main difference being
that your hints file needs to have several hundred entries vs
however many alternic had running root servers.

But the page does point to something, a natural rejection of
infection (government intrusion) by the organism (the Internet
community).

It's not a viable option for us as PAB/POC to propose, but if
it gains wide support in the face of the GP then it should
be as effective as the great blackout was against the CDA.
Did the blackout have any real effect? Only the justices
know and I really doubt that it did.

But it *did* have an effect with consumers, my clients, probably
yours or people you know. It brought the issue to the public.
Again, I don't think that public opinion had any effect on the
CDA decision, but the mere threat of the CDA had many people I
know scrambling for information on how to use PGP. The CDA
backfired, the GP may too if we see more of this.

I can't in good concience support this GRS, this type of action
(aeiDNS) is what pushed me into the process originaly, to stop it.

But it is leverage, this is something that the administration is
not counting on. And I guess when it comes right down to it,
if the GP were to take force of law, I'd be configuring my
name server a little differently (than they intend).

Dan

--
 Dan Busarow, PAB Deputy Chair                                714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com