Re: PAB USG Green Paper

K S LIM (ks_lim@logchina.com.sg)
Tue, 03 Feb 1998 16:48:37 +0930

Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> I hate to say this, and it is going to be contraversial, but we are
> under no obligation to listen to Ira Magaziner. We should simply
> continue forward. I mean that. The U.S. government does NOT control
> the entire Internet

Dear Perry
I like to hear this and wish it is true. But doesn't the US Govt. has
control over IANA now?(unless we try to change it and establish a new
IANA?)

-- at best it controls the NSI contract. The
> Internet is an international entity. We are not under any obligation
> to go ahead with a half baked idea that the White House came up
> with.

Agreed!

The gTLD MoU was well thought out, the database has been
> designed and built, and there is no reason whatsoever to change our
> plans. We should tell Mr. Magaziner "thank you for your input, and we
> appreciate your concern, but unfortunately we have moved way to far
> ahead to stop now."

I would like to agree to this too but again wouldn't the position of
IANA affect what we plan to do?
Best regards.

--
KS LIM